“The kids of today tap, swipe, and pinch their way through the world. But unless we give them tools to build with computers, we are raising only consumers instead of creators.”
— Linda Liukas
This is one of the key developments which has made it fun to learn programming and computing for people of all ages. Learning programming is fun, especially when you can use your programs to control everyday electronic devices!
iGeners will use a Raspberry Pi to learn programming by exploring and integrating engineering, computer science, and electronics. iGeners will create various projects throughout this pathway like a photo booth, laser tripwire, a motion security alarm, robots or their very own engineered game. This pathway will help to bridge the gap between computer languages and real world digital projects. Each student will take home his/ her own Raspberry Pi system.
- Understand how the Raspberry Pi works and how to interface it with the physical world!
- Learn how to build a computer and learn about electronics
- Develop critical thinking and problem solving
- Gain basic understanding of circuitry and electrical engineering on the Raspberry Pi platform
- Dive into coding with a foundation of the Python programming language
- Learn how to breadboard real electronic components
- Write commands in Python to control LEDs
- Learn circuit design and implementation
- Draw pixels on an LED matrix
- Design projects utilizing sensors
- Read position data from an accelerometer
- Develop building skills, and problem solving skills
- Learn C programming language
- Learn C++ language
- Engage in physical learning and extensive use of logic